Posted on Sep 16, 2017
The 8th Edition of the Scientific and Standard English Names of Amphibians and Reptiles of North America North of Mexico, (Herpetological Circular no. 43), which has recently been published by the Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles (SSAR), is available for download. The download link can also be found in Resources.
- Scientific and Standard english Names of Amphibians and Reptiles of North America North of Mexico, 8th Edition
Past Contributors to the Scientific and Standard English Names List
The 8th Edition of the Scientific and Standard English Names List is the fourth complete document published by SSAR since Brian Crother was named chair of the committee in 1997 by SSAR president Henry Mushinsky. The committee is organized into subcommittees of experts on the separate taxonomic groups anurans, caudates, lizards (not including snakes), snakes, turtles, and alien (introduced) species. Since the inception of this committee, several contributors have come and gone, but their significant contributions to building the document remain. By its very nature, this document builds on the previous work of others who contributed to previous editions of this document. Because of this, these past contributors should also receive recognition for their work. While it is too late to include a “Past Contributors” in the 8th Edition, this companion note serves as that recognition now and will be included in the 9th Edition.
- David M. Green: 7th Edition, Anura
- Stephen G. Tilley: 5th, 6th, 7th Editions, Caudata (chair)
- David B. Wake: 5th, 6th, 7th Editions, Caudata
- Jack W. Sites, Jr: 5th Edition, Squamata - (excluding Snakes)
- Jonathan A. Campbell: 5th, 6th, 7th Editions, Squamata - Snakes
- Alexander Pyron: 7th Edition, Squamata – Snakes
- Travis W. Taggart: 5th Edition, Squamata – Snakes