H. T. Harvey & Associates
Los Gatos, California
- Closing Date
H. T. Harvey & Associates, an ecological consulting firm based in Northern California, is looking for a wildlife ecologist for a full-time position in the wildlife ecology group in our San Francisco Bay Area office (Los Gatos, Santa Clara County).
As an ecologist in our wildlife group, you will be responsible for conducting surveys and monitoring for special-status wildlife species; completing habitat assessments; working on CEQA/NEPA projects; and drafting written reports. This position will sometimes require a person to navigate varying and rugged terrain safely and potentially alone in a variety of weather conditions. It may require occasional overnight travel and weekend work.
Our mission is to help clients address their complex ecological challenges. Typical projects we work on include:
- NEPA/CEQA documentation
- Endangered species issues (FESA and CESA consultations)
- Compliance support including pre-activity surveys and construction monitoring
- Site assessments and constraints analyses
- Bird-safe design assessments
- Mitigation and monitoring plans
- Natural resource management plans
- Habitat Plans/Natural Community Conservation Plan development, documentation, and coverage applications
Our wildlife team leaders have been researching and working in the San Francisco Bay Area for more than three decades and have unparalleled expertise with the region’s species, habitats, regulatory environment, and habitat plans. A position working for H. T. Harvey & Associates is for those who strive for excellence in their everyday work, science, and long-term careers and for those who are interested in continually improving their scientific knowledge, learning from others, and collaborating with experts in other fields of ecology.
If that sounds like you and you meet the requirements below, we look forward to learning more about your ecological expertise and project management skills during the application process!
Required expertise and skillset:
- Academic background (B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. preferred) in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology, or an equivalent subject
- A demonstrable background in ecology or wildlife management and broad knowledge of the biology of California’s fauna
- A minimum of 2 years of applicable professional experience in biological/ecological consulting or relevant experience with a regulatory agency
- Solid field experience and report-writing skills
- Expertise with bats, nesting birds, special-status reptiles and amphibians of central California (such as the California tiger salamander, California red-legged frog, and foothill yellow-legged frog), and/or San Francisco Bay marsh species (such as the California Ridgway’s rail, California black rail, snowy plover, and salt marsh harvest mouse) is desirable; expertise across multiple taxa is preferred
This position requires the future employee to:
- Hold a valid driver’s license with no major traffic violations or multiple minor violations
- Work nights, weekends, and early morning hours as needed
- Walk over varied terrain for surveys
- Work in inclement weather
- Follow best practices for field safety
Interested candidates should respond by submitting a cover letter, resume, and academic transcripts through our applicant portal: bit.ly/3qEJYwB.
About H. T. Harvey & Associates
H. T. Harvey & Associates is an ecological consulting firm based in the San Francisco Bay Area, with five offices in California and Hawaii. Our core areas of expertise are plant ecology, wildlife ecology, restoration ecology, landscape architecture, and fish and aquatic ecology. We hire people who strive to be the best in their fields and provide training, support, and work opportunities to grow their expertise.
Our employment package includes a competitive salary as well as medical, dental, and life insurance and a 401(k) with a generous employer match. Project managers and other senior staff are part of a robust managerial bonus program.
This year we are celebrating our 50th anniversary of cultivating excellence in our staff and work in pursuit of our mission to create ecologically sound solutions to our clients’ complex natural resource challenges.