Oregon State University
- Closing Date
May 31, 2021
The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife at Oregon State University is seeking an Academic Advisor. This is a full-time (1.00 FTE), 12-month, fixed term professional faculty position. Reappointment is at the discretion of the Department Head. This position will serve as academic advisor primarily for Ecampus undergraduate students enrolled in the Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Sciences and communicate with current and prospective students primarily via one-one advising either in-person, via email, phone, or communication technologies (e.g., Skype, Zoom, etc.). The start date is August 16, 2021.
Position duties include:
- Assist students in matching their personal strengths and interests to opportunities within the University curriculum in general and the FWCS Undergraduate Program specifically;
- Assess student OSU and transfer course work relative to FWCS and OSU Baccalaureate Core degree requirements;
- Advise students on course selection and degree progression;
- Research and problem solve student issues and concerns;
- Orient and advise Corvallis Campus students to the University, the Department, and FWCS degree program during the first year at Oregon State;
- Participate in student success initiatives and updating and improving advising operations;
- Respond to email and phone inquiries from prospective undergraduate students.
The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife is an academic unit that reports to the College of Agricultural Sciences. The department is composed of over 350 staff – including academic faculty, research assistants, classified staff, temporary staff, graduate students and undergraduate students. Our extended education program (Ecampus) has 60 courses, with approximately 800 students each year. Many of these courses are offered four times per academic year.
- Bachelor’s degree in Fisheries and Wildlife or a related STEM discipline (e.g., Biology, Natural Resources, Marine Biology, Environmental Sciences, Zoology).
- Experience in student advising, counseling, mentoring, or administering student services at the college or university level.
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends to meet the schedule constraints of Ecampus students.
- Competency with Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Access, and Excel as well as with use of web browsers such as Chrome and Firefox.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including video conferencing and telephone skills.
- Experience in organizing programs, preparing academic materials, and managing databases.
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Competency working with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per OSU Standard 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions.
- Master’s degree in Fisheries and Wildlife or related field or Master’s degree in College Administration, Education or Counseling.
- Direct experience in academic advising and teaching at the college or university level.
- Work experience in Fisheries and Wildlife or a STEM discipline (e.g., Biology, Natural Resources, Marine Biology, Environmental Sciences, Zoology).
- Experience working with Ecampus students or students enrolled in another distance program.
- Skills in communication technologies (e.g., Skype, Zoom, etc.).
For full position announcement with required and preferred qualifications and application materials go to: jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/101496. Application due for full consideration 05/31/2021. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date, until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.