Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Closing Date
September 1, 2020
The Louisiana State University (LSU) Museum of Natural Science (LSUMNS) is seeking a collection manager for its fish, amphibian and reptile collection.
- (80%) Assist Curators in integrating new and orphaned collections into the LSU amphibian, reptile and fish natural history collections . Processing of Inter-museum loans and loan tracking, care and conservation of specimens in the collection (including, storage, security and other related tasks). Has direct responsibility for overall operation of the collection. This includes training and supervision of graduate students and student workers.
- (15%) Digitizing type specimens, georeferencing, maintenance of the computerized database. Obtain collecting permits for researchers who will conduct field expeditions. Daily collection upkeep and assist the Curators in coordinating staff training and continuing education opportunities.
- (5%) May assist Curators in preparing proposals for collection-improvement grants. Collection manager will assist professional visitors to the collection and when requested by the curator, will provide tours of the collection for special visitors.
This individual will also be responsible for promoting the mission of the LSUMNS and assisting the Curators with all aspects of the daily operation of Herpetology and Ichthyology Divisions.
- Bachelor's degree in related field and 2-4 years related experience
- Have a very strong background and interest in curating amphibian, reptile and fish natural history collections.
- Master's degree in Zoological, Biological Sciences or closely related field
- Be capable of managing a diverse collection and leading a team of curatorial assistants and student workers
Apply online at lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/LSU (job R00047331). Applicants should provide a CV, cover letter detailing experience working in natural history collections and three letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be emailed to Tammie Jackson at tjacks9 [at] lsu.edu.
LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.