University of Nevada Reno
- Closing Date
August 16, 2019
The University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) seeks to hire a Postdoctoral Scholar to conduct population genomics research on the Mojave Desert tortoise. The Postdoctoral Scholar will join a team of collaborators investigating habitat suitability, corridor functionality, and the demographic and distributional responses to environmental variation. The Postdoctoral Scholar will be expected to lead all aspects of the population genomics analyses associated with this study including: DNA extraction, library preparation for high-throughput sequencing, short read quality filtering, alignment with the existing Mojave Desert tortoise genome, functional classification of loci based on genome alignment, and standard population genomic diversity and differentiation analyses. The Postdoctoral Scholar should have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and be able to work with a collaborative team that spans agency personnel, university faculty, other project postdoctoral scholars, and graduate students. The position has the potential to be renewed annually, based on performance for up to two years. Start date is negotiable, but the position is available immediately.
The University of Nevada, Reno offers a competitive postdoctoral salary ($48,000) and an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes: a state health care plan (PEBP), a retirement plan with matching contributions from the university, generous annual and sick leave, opportunity for pre-tax savings accounts and term life insurance policy. For more information about postdoctoral employee benefits please visit: www.unr.edu/Documents/administration-finance/hr/hr-benefits/2017-2018_Postdoctoral_Benefits_Summary.pdf. Additionally, the fellow may apply for university, college, and departmental travel funds for conference presentations.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Ecology, Population Genetics, Evolutionary Biology, Molecular Biology or closely related field by the time of appointment.
- A strong publication record
- Experience working on computer clusters and handling large datasets
- Laboratory skills including DNA extraction and library preparation
- Demonstrated advanced laboratory and bioinformatics skills, including programming skills in R, Perl, and/or Python, and proficiency in working with the linux/unix command line environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a group
Please send a single PDF containing the following to Dr. Marjorie Matocq at mmatocq [at] cabnr.unr.edu :
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter addressing applicant's motivation for the position and how their experience and skills fulfill the position requirements
- Contact information for three professional references