Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi, Texas
- Closing Date
The Marine Genomics Laboratory (MGL) at Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team of researchers as a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Fisheries and Aquaculture Genetics. The candidate is expected to work independently and will be in charge of two currently funded projects aimed at characterizing sex determining-loci in several species of bony fish and designing a genotyping-by-thousands panel for monitoring hatchery output. In addition, the individual will contribute to research on commercial aquaculture of eastern oysters. This position involves generating RAD-seq DNA libraries, isolating and characterizing SNP-containing loci and bioinformatic processing of genomic data, and preference will be given to those with experience in genomics.
- Generate RAD-seq DNA libraries.
- Bioinformatic processing of next-generation sequencing data and genetic association analysis.
- Prepare manuscripts for publications in peer-reviewed, scientific journals.
- Includes keeping current with appropriate literature.
- Participate in writing proposals to funding sources.
- Attend scientific meetings to disseminate research results.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Doctorate in Biological Sciences or related.
- Relevant publication record.
- Experience with management of large data sets.
- Strong statistical and computational background.
- Familiarity with appropriate molecular biology techniques.
- Intermediate MS Office skills.
- Ability to effectively utilize a computer and applicable software to perform statistical analyses, present data and perform other computer related tasks.
- Ability to work with nucleic acids and analyze molecular data.
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others.
- Experience with preparation of next-generation sequencing libraries.
- Experience with standard bioinformatics software, Unix/Linux, and R.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Texas A&M University is Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.